Thursday, June 19, 2008

Not Evil Enough?

I first stumbled across My Morning Jacket one night while watching a documentary on the 2004 Bonnaroo Music Festival. Included were two songs from the album It Still Moves. Golden and Steam Engine. I was intrigued enough to pick up the album and spent last summer getting in to it. About a month ago, I am came across their concert video, Okonokos. Fantastic DVD. I only wish I had a better sound system to pump it through!! So the new album, Evil Urges, came out about a week or so ago and I finally picked it up. I have to admit, based on the 2 singles Evil Urges and I'm Amazed, I was ready for a great album.



Instead, it's looking like a good album, w/ a few great tracks and some clunkers. It's safe to say that MMJ is exploring new territory on Evil Urges, and maybe trying to shed the alt-country/70's rock/jam band label... but it's just not working for me. The venture into Buddy Holly-esque pop and 70's soul just isn't clicking. Don't get me wrong, these guys are incredibly talented (the first 2-3 songs on Okonokos will set you straight), and I am looking forward to seeing them in KC this summer. But I get the feeling it's going to take me a while to warm up to Evil Urges.

No comments: